Table of Contents
- 1 Why use Google AdWords
Why use Google AdWords
One simple reason for using Google AdWords is organic results are just not enough. You should look into Google Adwords for the following reasons
Google AdWords is actually cheaper than organic SEO:
There is no doubt that you get charged per click but in reality, PPC advertising on Google actually helps you save a whole lotta blood sweat and tears that you put in for conducting SEO on your website. That time perhaps can be used in another area of your business.
Organic Results are Unpredictable:
Organic results are generally unpredictable because there is a huge possibility that an update in search engine algorithms can throw your hard earned first-page spot to probably the tenth page, whereas in AdWords the first slots displayed on your selected keywords will always be reserved and why won’t they be your bloody paying for them.
Google ads are measurable:
Google ads can be measured in the sense you can utilize the keyword planner to actually plan your ad campaign, according to your specific budget and you can calculate and expect a certain amount of traffic from the keywords your advertising for. Whereas in organic SEO there is a huge possibility that your ranking does not stay constant due to heavy competition hence there is no certainty.
Before you go ahead and start setting up your AdWords campaign there are a few components that you need to understand for creating a successful AdWords campaign
keywords are exact words or phrases that your target audience types into Google in order to search for the subject your advertisements will only appear for the keywords that you have selected
PPC or PAY PER CLICK is google’s way of charging you for providing you with the ad space. PPC advertising basically means that you get charged only if someone clicks on your advertisement so you pay for each customer’s visit to your landing page.
landing pages are the web pages where you would want your target audience to land on after they have clicked on your advertisement. It is very important for your landing page to convey the same message and to fulfill the same objective you had in mind while creating the advertisement
Click Through Rate (CTR):
The click through rate is nothing else but the number of clicks your advertisement has received divided by the number of times it has been displayed, the CTR is one of the key indicators for Google to figure out which advertisements are being appreciated by its users.
Google in some sense functions as an auction house with only a limited amount of space and heavy demand Google came up with its bidding system in order to sell the spaces on the SERPs, your bid is basically the amount of money you are willing to spend per click, your bidding strategy needs to be in synergy with your marketing budget.
the quality score is a metric that Google utilizes to find out how relevant your ad was to your landing page and how their users will ultimately feel about your advertisement on their search engine the quality score affects yours ads delivery tremendously if your ad has a poor quality score there is a high chance your ads will just stop delivering
Now that you are done with understanding the advantages and components of Google AdWords lets start building your Google AdWords campaign by following the steps below
1)Log into the Google Adwords Dashboard and click on +Campaign Button
After Clicking on the +campaign Button you will notice multiple options appear in the form of a menu as shown in the image below
for now, just click on the search network only button which helps you create advertisements displaying as search snippets or basic text ads only
Once you have clicked on the search network only button you will be redirected to the campaign settings page, now understanding every element on this page is extremely crucial for your ad campaign. The following lines will help you understand each and every setting that you are expected to complete before creating your ad sets
Select a campaign name: As per your convenience Select a campaign name. Make sure it’s something that will instantly make you realize and understand which and what campaign it is because while running many campaigns at once it is very easy to get confused just because of the names
- Select the campaign Type: there are many different types of ad campaigns primarily it is your job as an advertiser to understand what kind of an action you want the user to perform and then accordingly select the type of ad campaign. For this time just select the search networks only and standard option.
- Load previous settings (option): You can even load settings from previous campaigns using the load setting options so if you are creating an ad campaign for the same product feel free to use existing settings but it is highly recommended that you go through the entire process again to rectify even the smallest mistakes if there are any
- Networks: Your previous campaign settings will determine whether you get any options or not in this section, because we are going with the standard option and search network only you will not be able to select any other options but the “include search partners” option. It is recommended that you include the search partners as it does not make a lot of difference to your campaign but instead optimizes it for better performance on other platforms too.
- Devices: because of our selection of the standard campaign this setting too won’t be available and your ads will display on all sorts of devices
- Locations: You can add locations from this option if you want to advertise on some specific place rather than your current region you can set that up from here also the option of excluding locations has been given to you so if you do not wish to display your advertisement to people from a certain locality you can set that up from this option
- Languages: in this option, you can select the language of the web page where you would want to display your advertisement. Primarily these options are for display banner ads and one more keynote in this section is that make sure your ad banners are created in the similar language of which your user will be accessing the internet. Primarily most business only use English as it is the most common language ever
- Bid Strategy: Your Bid strategy is going to be the method through which you would want to pay Google. The moment you click on the bidding strategy option you will find multiple bidding strategy models for now just click on the Enhanced CPC button, this optimizes you ads to obtain the best return on your bid also it is recommended that beginners go with this instead of manual CPC as that needs to be monitored and optimized every now and then
- Default Bid: Now it’s time for you to calculate your ad budget and derive your default bid. Your Default bid is nothing else but the amount you are willing to pay per click. You also need to remember that Google will charge you every time somebody clicks on your advertisement, so make sure you calculate your marketing costs while having an idea of the number of clicks you will need to obtain a certain number of conversions. Now, for example, you profit Rs 100 from 1 conversion and you require 10 clicks for a conversion then without obtaining any profits your default bid should be Rs 10.
- Budget: in this section, you will have to add your daily budget, in order to find your optimal daily budget always calculate your entire ad budget and divide it by the number of days you want to run your campaign.
- Ad extensions: ad extensions are external links on your advertisement which give additional information about your business to the user. Ad extensions are also used to increase your click through rate, it is roughly estimated that ad extensions usually increase your click through rate (CTR) by 15 percent, which is great. But in ad extensions do not always display you need to have a good ad rank for your ad extensions to display. In order to add extensions to your advertisement simply click on the box and click on add try adding all the necessary extensions which you feel are useful for your business. Below is a sample of how ad extensions actually appear to the user
Now Click on the save and continue button and you will be redirected to the “Create Ad Groups” page.
It’s Time to create an ad group now but before that let’s understand what an ad group is
an ad group is nothing but a collection of ads which will be displayed for a certain set of keywords it is highly recommended that you should create only one ad set for one particular product or service in order to avoid any errors in your ad campaigns
Let’s start creating your ad group step by step
- Enter your Landing Page Url: in this first section, you have to enter your landing page’s URL. A landing page is a webpage where the user will land after clicking on your advertisement, landing pages are created while focusing on only one objective, so make sure you understand and conclude on what your objective is behind your ad campaign. If you have not created a landing page don’t worry, you can click on the “I don’t have a landing page” option and the enter your competitions landing page, also you can input the product or services category respective to your ad campaign.
- Name: create an ad group name and again try being as specific as possible as it may confuse you in the future while running many campaigns so develop a habit of writing names you can keep track of.
- Bid: As explained earlier, This is nothing but the amount you are willing to pay per click depending on your marketing budget and the number of clicks you require in order to obtain profits
- Keywords: inside the keywords box enter the list of keywords you wish to advertise for and Google AdWords automatically shows you a list of suggested keywords and the search volume of those keywords are also specified if you click on the +’n’ Keywords link this helps you understand the number of clicks which you should be expecting this often can get very tricky so make sure you use google’s tool called Keyword Planner from the tools section. You can view the following images to understand where exactly you need to click once you click on the +’n’ Keywords link a popup will appear and you can select and deselect the keywords based on your preference and judgements simply by clicking on the Checkbox option next to the keywords and proceed By clicking on the Add to Campaign button
Now Click on the Continue to Ads button to start with creating you Text Ads. Your Text ads are the Final Piece of the Puzzle, until now we were just working on the back end Functionalities of your ad campaign, now we will create what the user is actually going to view in the form of your advertisement on the Google search engine.
1) Final URL: This is Where you will put the URL of your Landing Page. Make sure your landing page is extremely relevant and conveys the same message as your ad text does
2) Headline 1: This is the First Half of your text ad which means it needs to grab the users attention immediately and make the user Go through your entire Text Ad.
3) Headline 2: This is the Second Half of your Text Ad. Generally its a very concise Description of your product or service at the same time it needs to build curiosity in the users mind
4) Create a second ad with headlines in reverse order(checkbox): Clicking on this Checkbox automatically creates a second variation of your Text Ad by Displaying your Headline 1 and Headline 2 in an inverse order. Campaign responses are believed to increase by 5 to 15% by having different variations of advertisements which are displayed in rotation.
5) Path: Whatever you type in these fields it becomes an extension of your domain so try giving a small enticing description in the character limit of 15 per slot also try making these as relevant as possible at the same time not too repetitive.
6) Description: this column is nothing but a short description of your product or services and again keep it as relevant to the product as possible, at the same describing a few unique features of your product.
To The Right Corner You can preview your advertisements exact appearance to the user also next to the preview text you can select the device and observe the appearance on both mobile and desktop
At the bottom you can see the copy to more ad groups option by using this you can copy the advertisement you have just created in different ad groups that you would have created earlier for now if you are a novice it is suggested that you leave that column untouched.